The Regents Park area, London
Paddington Station served as the London terminus of the Great Western Railway and its successors since 1838. Much of the current station dates from 1854, and was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
That glazed roof is supported by wrought iron arches in three spans, respectively spanning 68 feet, 102 feet and 70 feet. The roof is 699 feet long, and the original roof spans had two transepts connecting the three spans.
Paddington Basin is the terminus for the Paddington arm of the Grand Union Canal and is on the east edge of Paddington Station. In its heyday it was a very busy goods transhipment facility but like a lot of London's docks it fell into disuse when the traffic dwindled. The basin is now the centre of a major redevelopment as part of the wider Paddington Waterside scheme and is surrounded by modern buildings
The canal leaving the basin joins the Regents Canal at Little Venice.
|Comment||More of Paddington Basin|
The junction of the Paddington arm of the Grand Union Canal and the Regents Canal form the centrepiece of an area now known as Little Venice. Robert Browning lived here from 1862 to 1887 and supposedly coined the name.
There are boat trips available from here to Camden Lock and tickets are available for one-way or return trips.
|Comment||More of Little Venice|
Regents Park covers 410 acres and this view is along the path which runs from the Regents Canal past the south side of the Winter Gardens and across the boating lake bridge towards the Open Air Theatre.
You can't really miss the BT Tower at 620 feet high and it makes a good landmark.
|Comment||More of Regents Park|
The Camden Lock area is very popular with visitors and is normally very busy. The narrowboat in the picture is headed for Camden Lock which is just the other side of the bridge.
Camden Lock Market is just behind the camera.
|Comment||More of Camden Lock|
St. Pancras Railway Station was opened in 1868 and is a listed building widely known for its Victorian Gothic architecture.The frontage of the station is formed by the former Midland Grand Hotel designed by George Gilbert Scott.
Inside the station is a bronze statue of the former Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman which commemorates the poet's successful campaign to save the station from demolition in the 1960s.
|Comment||More around St. Pancras|
Built in the late 18th century, Hertford House, an historic townhouse in Manchester Square, houses the Wallace Collection. The building was first opened as a museum in 1900.
Entrance is free.
|Comment||More of the Wallace Collection|
Read our report of this trip to Regents Park on the Blog.