The area around Cannon Street, London  
St. Pauls Cathedral from the One New Change roof terrace, London, England, Great Britain
Around Cannon Street.

At the western end of Cannon Street on the edge of St. Paul's Churchyard is a short street called 'New Change'. In the side of the building facing the end of St. Paul's Cathedral is a gap in the building with two lifts at the inside end. These lifts will take you to the roof terrace on the 6th floor.

This is a large shopping centre called 'One New Change' and there is free access to the roof terrace and this is part of that roof terrace with good views of the east end of the cathedral. It is open 7 days a week.

Comment More of One New Change


 
Temple of Mithras, London, England, Great Britain
Around Cannon Street.

In nearby Queen Victoria Street are the remains of the Roman Temple of Mithras. These remains were discovered during rebuilding work in 1954 and is one of the most famous of all twentieth-century Roman discoveries in the City of London.

It was built in the mid-3rd century and various artifacts were discovered which are now in the Museum of London.

NOTE:(Dec 2018) The temple has been moved. Information here

Comment  


 
The Black Friar pub, London, England, Great Britain
Around Cannon Street.

The Black Friar Pub at 174 Queen Victoria Street is a Victorian pub built on the site of a thirteenth century Dominican Priory, which gives the area its name - Blackfriars. It is, however, the interior which makes this pub exceptional as it is an Art Nouveau masterpiece.

They provide hot food here although, unfortunately, we have no experience of it.

Comment  


 
The 13th century Carmelite Crypt, London, England, Great Britain
Around Cannon Street.

A liitle west of St. Pauls, and south of Fleet Street along either Bouverie Street or Whitefriars Street, is Magpie Alley which leads into Ashentree Court from where there are some steps down into a basement.

On one side is a large plate glass window allowing you to see these remains of a Carmalite 13th century crypt.The crypt lay buried for centuries until it was unearthed in 1895 but it was not restored until the 1920s.

Comment