Ross-on-Wye (1), Herefordshire
Broad Street, Ross-on-Wye.
Ross-on-Wye is an ancient market town in Herefordshire near the Welsh border. It is dominated by the church spire and situated high on a sandstone cliff overlooking a large loop in the River Wye. Broad Street runs downhill North-East from the Market Hall.
We had lunch in the cafe in the left foreground, although we chose not to sit outside, and very nice it was too.
Market Square, Ross-on-Wye.
The Market Square is what might be called the Hub of the town. It is where High Street (on the left), Broad Street (on the right) and Gloucester Road (behind the camera) converge by the Market Hall.
Part of High Street, Ross-on-Wye.
High Street runs from Edde Cross Street past the Market House until the junction with Old Gloucester Road where it changes to Copse Cross Street.It features a number of old and interesting buildings and some independant shops. Ross-on-Wye generally has a good selection of independant shops.
James Kyrle's House High Street, Ross-on-Wye.
James Kyrle was a well educated local philanthropist. He became known as 'The Man of Ross' and spent most of his money on the town and townspeople rather than himself. He inherited this house, opposite the Market Hall, from his father and it has now been converted into a number of small shops. The building dates from between the late 16th century and the early 17th century.
Market Hall, Ross-on-Wye.
The right to hold a market in Ross was granted in the 12th century by King Stephen and the current Market Hall was built between 1650 and 1654 replacing an older, probably wooden, building. Regular markets are still held under and in front of the Market House.
Market Hall interior.
The Ground Floor of the Market Hall is open on three sides and when a market is in progress it will have some stalls within it.
When we were there it was set up with tables and chairs to enable people to sit and consume refreshments obtained from the nearby cafes.
|Comment||More of Ross-on-Wye.|
St. Michael's Church, Michaelchurch.
Michaelchurch is a very small hamlet about 5 miles west of Ross-on-Wye and the little church of St. Michael looks small and unimpressive although set in a beautiful rural countryside setting.
Although it is nearly 1000 years old it does seem unimpressive until you look inside.
|Comment||More of Michaelchurch.|
St. Catherine's Church, Hoarwithy.
It's not often that one comes across an Italian Romanesque church like this in an English village.
However that is what one will find in Hoarwithy, Herefordshire which is just under 6 miles north of Ross-on-Wye.
|Comment||More of Hoarwithy Church.|