The area around Leadenhall Market, London
The market building has a number of different isles or arcades and there are a number of entrances. When it was built it covered a series of established rights of way which are perpetuated under its roof which explains the Market's crooked cruciform plan, and also its use as a thoroughfare by people who are not actually visiting the market.
|Comment||More of the market|
Just around the corner in Leadenhall Street is the church of St. Andrew Undershaft being rather dwarfed by the Gherkin aka 30, St. Mary Axe.
St. Andrew Undershaft is a rare example of a City church that has managed to escape both the Great Fire of London in 1666 and the Second World War bombing. The first church to occupy this site was certainly there by 1147 but that church was rebuilt in the 14th century and was replaced by the current church in 1532.
On the other side of Gracechurch Street from Leadenhall Market is a maze of little alleys and this picture shows the junction between three of them, Bengal Court, George Yard and Castle Court, the opening to the right of Bengal Court. The public house, the George and Vulture, was built in 1746 although there has been an inn on the site since 1268.
The George & Vulture is mentioned at least 20 times in The Pickwick Papers, by Charles Dickens, who frequently drank there.
The Royal Exchange at the junction of Cornhill, on the left, and Threadneedle Street on the right. Founded in 1565 it acted as a centre of commerce for the city with the site being provided by the City of London Corporation and the Worshipful Company of Mercers.
It opened in 1571 but was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. A second exchange was built in 1669 and was also destroyed by fire in 1838 after which the current building was erected.
The interior of Old Royal Exchange which has been converted into a shopping centre of small luxury shops with the central floor used as a cafe.
Just a few hundred yards from the Royal Exchange is the Mansion House which is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London. It was built between 1739 and 1752 in the then fashionable Palladian style.
Read our report of this trip to London on the Blog.